Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Mata Chintpurni Devi


Home | Legends | A History of the Chintpurni Temple  | Devi Darshan  | Aarti and Stuti Location, Accommodation and AccessTemple Opening Times | Nearby places of interest | Acknowledgements


Nearby places of interest


Dhauladhar mountains as seen from Chintpurni


Sheetla Devi Temple
: This temple is located in village Dharmashala Mahantan about 4 km west of Chintpurni on the Chintpurni - Talwara Road (MDR 42). Sheetala literally means "one who cools" in Sanskrit. She is the Goddess who cures poxes, sores, pustules and diseases.




Bhairav at Sheetla Devi Temple

Sheetala Devi Temple Main Gate
Sheetala Devi Darshan
Kali Devi at Sheetla Devi Temple

 

Dharampur Devi Temple: This temple is located in Dharampur village, Talwara Tehsil, Hoshiarpur district. It is about 32 km northwest of Chintpurni and 54 km north of Hoshiarpur city. It is also known for being the birth place of Kishori Lal Sharma (1912 - 1990) who was a freedom fighter, associate of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, and a tireless worker for the rights of peasants and workers in independent India.





Dharampur Devi Darshan 1
Dharampur Devi Darshan 2 Dharampur Devi Shrine 1

Dharampur Devi - Ganesh and Hanuman Dharampur Devi Shrine 2 Dharampur Devi Shrine - Shikhar


Chamunda Devi Temple : Temple of Chamunda Devi is situated on the right bank of Baner river in Kangra district, Himachal Pradesh. The famous Temple is connected with Dharamshala - Palampur National Highway.

Jwalamukhi Devi temple : Goddess Jwalamukhi is the deity of the flaming mouth. The temple is built over natural jets of combustible gas, believed to be a manifestation of the Mother Goddess. This is one of the older Shakti Peeths in Himachal. About 35 km northeast from Chintpurni.

Jwalamukhi Devi Temple Vajreshwari Devi Temple, Kangra


Vajreshwari Devi temple : This temple, which is one of the older and most famous Shakti peeths of North India, is located in Kangra town. Some scholars have argued that it started off as a place of Tantric worship and practice. About 50 km north from Chintpurni. 

 

Dharamshala and McLeodganj : About 68 km north of Chintpurni is located Dharamshala, the principal township of Kangra district. Its dense pine and deodar forests, numerous streams, cool healthy air and the nearby snowline make it an attractive place. The Dalai Lama (with his Tibetan government-in-exile) lives in the upper part of town called McLeodganj.

 

Masroor temples : Located 15 km south of Kangra, this village is known for its monolithic rock temples. There are fifteen richly carved temples in Indo-Aryan style. Only known example of rock-cut temples in North India.

Maharana Pratap Sagar (Pong Dam Lake) : This reservoir and wild life sanctuary on river Beas covers an area of nearly 45,000 hectares. More than 200 species of migratory birds visit the lake in winter. Water sports like sailing, water skiing and rowing are allowed on the lake. About 20 km west from Chintpurni.

Maharana Pratap Sagar (Pong Dam Lake) on River Beas Pragpur - Garli village

Pragpur- Garli heritage village : Located about 25 km northeast from Chintpurni, this is India's first classified heritage village. Pragpur literally means City (or Town) of Fragrant Pollen). It was established about 3 centuries ago. Its cobblestone streets, old-style shops, water tanks and magnificent buildings  (although some are showing their age and are being restored lovingly) have largely remained unspoiled, giving Garli-Pragpur a medieval ambience.

Dera Baba Gurbarbhag Singh, Mairi village: The Dera was established by Baba Gurbarbhag Singh in 1756. Baba ji, who belonged to the lineage of the Sikh Gurus Teg Bahadur and Gobind Singh, escaped to the Jaswan hills following instability in the Punjab plains caused by the many invasions of the Afghan King - Ahmad Shah Abdali. Babaji was said to have extraordinary spiritual and healing powers. Devotees visiting the Dera believe that people who are possessed by evil spirits can be cured by paying obeisance to the Guruji. This Dera is located in village Mairi which is about 40 km north of Una on the Una-Amb-Nadaun-Hamirpur road.

Sujanpur-Tira and Nadaun : Sujanpur was established by Raja Sansar Chand Katoch, a great patron of painting, in 1758 as his third capital.

Naina Devi Temple - Temple of Shri Naina Devi Ji is situated on a hilltop in Bilaspur District, Himachal Pradesh, about 115 km southeast from Chintpurni.

Baba Balak Nath Sidhpeeth - Deot Sidh : Located in Hamirpur district, this shrine to Baba Balak Nath is visited by hundreds of thousands of people every year. Guru Adi Nath, who  started the Siddha and Nath tradition, is believed to be an incarnation of Lord Shiva. Distance between Chintpurni and Deot Sidh is 88 km via Pragpur and 117 km via Amb and Una.  


  


2004 - 2019 Maintained by: Arvind Kalia | Date Last Modified: 25 April 2019